Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Radio Times previews ITVs Austen season (NEWS)

The Radio Times is offering a sneak preview of ITV's Austen's season, due to air in Feb/March 2007. Scans of the article are available at Austenblog. From the pictures featured in the article I must say Billie Piper looks a great Fanny Price, but it's difficult to see how Mansfield Park has been filmed ENTIRELY on location at Newby Hall in Yorkshire, as claimed. How would Fanny's scenes in Portsmouth be recreated? Also there is a photo which lists Joseph 'Mangan' as William Price, but this seems to be a typo; this looks like Joseph 'MORGAN'. I felt pretty sure Morgan would take on the role of Henry Crawford, most particularly as there is no other young male actor listed at IMDB - and surely Henry is a more crucial character than William? Notably there is no mention as yet of actors for Rushworth, Tom Bertram or any of Fanny's family in Portsmouth.

The other photos in the Radio Times preview depict a rain-sodden scene showing Sally Hawkins as Anne Elliott in Persuasion speaking with Rupert Penry-Jones as Wentworth on Bath's famous Royal Crescent. She is clutching a letter (presumably the letter Wentworth writes for her, recounting his renewed love for her) which indicates perhaps that this scene is close to the end of the tele-film; perhaps even the moment of romantic resolution.

There is also a scene from Northanger Abbey with young Catherine Morland (Felicity Jones) aboard a carriage with John Thorpe (William Beck). The article wrongly claims the young man beside her is in fact James Morland (Hugh O'Conor).

As an ardent Austen fan, and with something of a keen academic interest in Austen adaptations, I am very excited about this upcoming season. All new adaptations are welcome, and I genuinely cannot fathom the reluctance of a clutchful of Austen fans to embrace new versions of her work - the IMDB mesage boards bear plentiful witness to this mood. Personally speaking, my most-anticipated Austen tele-film will be Northanger Abbey, as I have never seen this committed to screen, having missed out on the 1986 TV adaptation with Peter Firth.

I loved the 1995 BBC tele-film of Persuasion, more so it seems than numerous other Austen fans, but never warmed to Ciaran Hinds as Wentworth. I have high hopes for Rupert Penry-Jones, best-known currently as Adam in Spooks, as the latest Captain.

Again, unlike most other Austen fans it seems, based on my regular perusals of online fandom and contact with academic and literary communities, I am one of the very few who positively adored Rozema's 1999 Mansfield Park. I loved her radicalisation of aspects of the novel, fleshing out a range of wider, political discourses with pathos and brio, although perhaps her overall realisation was flawed for reasons too numerous to cite in this brief article (another time!). But Rozema's unique(re)vision, which steadfastly refused to perform as a servile paean to Austen's great novel, was brave and unfairly maligned. I don't expect similar treatment from the ITV production, in part because I have generally found ITV adaptations to be less adventurous even than the BBC, which has such a strong suit in this field it can afford to take risks without alienating its core drama audience or inflicting undue damage on its 'heritage TV' brand values. Even so, I can't wait for the ITV's Austen season to get underway, and Spring 2007 feels a long way off.

13 comments:

Elaine said...

The scenes at Portsmouth are not recreated for the simple reason they are left out! The film of Mansfield Park a few years ago was dire, the only good thing that can be said about this is that it is not as bad. I have reveiwed this over on

http://randomjottings.typepad.com
should you wish to read my rantings

Gallivant said...

I actually preferred the 1999 version to the tripe we were served on Sunday night by the BBC. My rantings are on-site at 'ITV's Mansfield Park is stodge fare, lacking style or substance.' (Actually you've probably already read it, thinking about it ...).

I had a look at your blog, which is great stuff! I differ in opinion on the virtues and vices of the former MPs - I never liked the Sylvestra de Touzel version for example. She set my teeth on edge! And I'm not a purist when it comes to adaptation at all to be honest. I rather like flights of fancy, contentious re-interpretations!! Even with an author who I adore, like Austen. But it's great that there can be so many diverse opinions, and yet that still remains true ... a genuine love of the books that inspire these works. Anyway, thanks for popping by!

Erectile dysfunction pills said...

Seems that the Radio Times is doing an excellent work.

Gynexin male breast reduction pills said...

radio times is working very hard indeed....

Buy Proactol in United States said...

I have been searching for something like this for many days. I am grateful to you for sharing this post.

HghAdvanced anti aging product review said...

Tom Bertram or any of Fanny's family in Portsmouth.

hcg buy online said...

That can be said about this is that it is not as bad. I have reveiwed this over on HCG Blue Drops, the Faster and Natural way to lose weight.

Natural penis augmentation pills said...

ITVs Austen is basically a very preferable fact..This news is actually better.

Natural no side-effects phentermine said...

most especially as the reporter, who did not seem unduly big I might add, literally TOWERED over Radcliffe.

Buy Proactol in United States said...

really ? Is it true that article are available at Austenblog ? Thanks .

Top Rated Vacuum Cleaners said...

All the versions were great. I hope you will write about all of them because you have skills and I enjoy reading your stuff.

Fitoderm effective acne removal product said...

Radio times preview is very authentic matter so far.Thanks for sharing it.

Top models clothing 2012 said...

I am glad that i ran into your blog today and hope that your future posts will be as great as this one right here.